Remember how I blogged about van Gogh’s Starry Night being the most popular oil painting of 2009? Well I just received an e-mail from overstockArt.com and they have named Starry Night the world’s most popular oil painting of the decade!
Since the world was closing down a decade, the online art seller thought it would be fun to take a look back and see what paintings have been the most popular in the last ten years. Van Gogh’s numbers have “far exceeded” those of his counterparts, and he holds the Nos. 1 and 2 slots on the list.
Here it is:
- Starry Night – Vincent van Gogh
- Café Terrace at Night – Vincent van Gogh
- The Kiss – Gustav Klimt
- Poppy Field at Argenteuil – Claude Monet
- The Mona Lisa – Da Vinci
- Le Rêve (The Dream) – Pablo Picasso
- Luncheon of the Boating Party – Pierre August Renoir
- The Scream – Edvard Munch
- Red Cannas – Georgia O’Keeffe
- Persistence of Memory – Salvador Dali
It’s interesting (and kinda cool) that it’s the artists from the turn of the last century that remain the most popular, year after year. The world may be changing right before our eyes, and while we must try and embrace what becomes modern, it’s comforting to know that most people still prefer the classics. Let’s hope that never goes away.
What do you think? Is there a paiting that didn’t make it that you think deserves a top spot?