Well, it may be just the beginning of winter, but with the unseasonably warm weather we’ve been having here in the NE lately, it looks like Frosty melted away much too soon! He did, however, leave behind his top hat and a special message. And guess what? You can easily recreate this adorable little project! It comes together quickly and will be hanging from your tree in no time. Try it as a gift tie-on for some extra gift-giving oomph.
frosty’s hat ornament
designed by Mary Lynn Parson
For product information, see below.
Felt top hat, size of choice*
18 mm rusty bell, Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue, embroidery needle, Elmer’s School Glue, cardstock (antique white), cinnamon, computer with word processing program and printer, crochet thread (black), ground cloves, holly leaves and berries embellishment***, homespun fabric scrap, mica flakes**, paintbrush (1/2” flat), scissors, waxed paper
*Available through Darice.
**Available through Country Whims.
***Look in scrapbooking and holiday gift wrapping sections.
Note: This is a bit of a messy project, so lay waxed paper down onto your workspace first.
1. Tear homespun scrap into a strip long enough to go around hat; cross over ends and adhere into place.
2. Use Tacky Glue to adhere embellishment, bending it slightly to fit around hat and leaving tips of leaves free to have a place to tuck in the tag.
3. Adhere bell into place.
4. Thinly brush on Elmer’s Glue, then sprinkle with cinnamon and cloves; shake off excess. Lightly brush Elmer’s onto selected places and sprinkle small amounts of mica flakes onto these spots. (This will dry fairly quickly.)
5. Open word processing program, and choose a font you like (I used Kendric in size 24. Type “I’ll be back again someday!” and print onto cardstock. Tip: If making several of these little hats, copy and paste the words until you have a whole sheet of them. Cut into a tag shape and carefully adhere behind holly leaves.
6. Using needle and desired length of crochet thread, poke a hole in top of brim, pull thread through, and tie off. Hang and enjoy!
Elmer’s Products, Inc.