Stitch old-world charm into an ornament for trimming the tree, or use as a package topper for an extra-special gift!
Sinterklaas Cross-stitch Ornament
Designed by Lois Winston
• Charles Craft 28-ct. Monaco fabric in Tea-Dyed, a 7” x 8-1/2” piece
• DMC Embroidery floss in No. 436 Tan, No. 762 V LT Pearl Gray, No. 890 Ultra DK Pistachio Green, No. 951 LT Tawny, No. 3799 V DK Pewter Gray
Satin floss in S504 Rosemary Green Satin, S712 Cloud, S898 Shadow Brown Satin
Light Effects floss in E168 Silver, E815 DK Ruby Red, E3821 LT Gold
#3 pearl cotton in No. 890 Ultra DK Pistachio Green, one skein
#24 tapestry needle
• Batting-covered mounting board, a 4” x 5-1/2” piece
• Adhesive-backed mounting board, a 4” x 5-1/2” piece
• Backing fabric, a 5” x 6-1/2” piece
• Basic sewing supplies, tacky glue
Note: Stitch count is 43w x 64h. Finished stitching size is approximately 3” x 4-1/2”.
1. Following Color Key and Cross-Stitch Chart, use two strands of floss to cross-stitch design over two threads, centered on Monaco fabric.
2. Backstitch with one strand No. 3799 V DK Pewter Gray.
3. Work eye stitches with two strands E168 Silver.
4. Mount stitching centered on batting-covered board, adhering raw edges to back of board.
5. Apply backing fabric to adhesive-backed mounting board, adhering raw edges to back of board.
6. Make twisted cording from pearl cotton skein.
7. Form a 3” loop at center of twisted cording. Beginning at top center, adhere loop to edge of batting-covered board. Continue adhering cording around perimeter of board, overlapping ends at bottom center and tucking to back of board. Trim excess cording.
8. Adhere backing board over back of mounted stitching.
This project was submitted courtesy of the DMC Corporation.
The DMC Corporation