Elephants are lovely guys,
Who are good and true and tell no lies.
They don’t take more than they can eat,
And always watch where they put their feet. – Wayne Hepburn
isn’t this elephant fun?! He can stand alone just fine, but a series would make a cute little parade for the wall in a children’s room. Or heck, my room. I love this guy!
For product information, see sources below.
Embroidery floss in No. 939
Satin floss in No. S606 and No. S741
Pearl Cotton Size 5 in Blanc, No. 666, No. 741, and No. 907
Jewel Effects in No. E718
Precious Metal Effects in No. E3852
Fluorescent Effects in No. E990
Memory Thread in No. 6200, No. 6310, and No. 6380
#22 chenille needle
Small crewel needle (for couching floss)
Stiletto (to enlarge holes for Memory Thread application)
Cotton fabric (bright blue), rhinestone (lime green), scissors, tacky glue
See Chart below.
1. Using Blanc Pearl Cotton, backstitch along trunk, legs, and tail, then blanket stitch inward around ear.
2. Use No. 742 Pearl Cotton to backstitch two rows along edges of blanket and head piece.
3. Place a segment of No. 6380 Memory Thread between the rows of backstitches. Use two strands of No. S741 Satin Floss to zigzag across and secure Memory Thread.
4. Use No. 907 Pearl Cotton to stem stitch along top of blanket and head piece.
5. Form twisted “bud” embellishments (on blanket and head piece) and paisley head (on ear) from segments of Memory Thread. Use three strands of No. E718 Jewel Effects to couch down and secure Memory Thread.
6. Use three strands of No. E718 Jewel Effects to backstitch around paisley tail and along swirl at end of trunk. Then stitch French knots at center of trunk, inside the “buds” and at center of Gray Memory Thread embellishment at bottom of blanket.
7. Adhere rhinestone onto center of paisley head.
8. Use three strands of No. S606 Satin Floss to backstitch from tail to center of paisley, then satin stitch from center to rhinestone.
9. Use three strands of No. S606 Satin Floss to stem stitch around rhinestone.
10. Use four strands No. E990 Fluorescent Effects to stem stitch a line inside both sides of paisley tail. End line with two angled straight stitches, then running stitch around paisley head.
11. Use two strands of No. E990 Fluorescent Effects to weave through Gray Memory Thread embellishment at bottom of blanket. Then, stitch three French knots around both “buds” on blanket.
12. Use one strand of No. E990 Lime Fluorescent Effects to straight stitch tassels on blanket.
13. Use No. 666 Pearl Cotton to stem stitch around Lime French Knot “bud” embellishments on blanket.
14. Place segments of No. 6200 Memory Thread across face and ankles of elephant. Use two strands of No. E3852 Precious Metal Effects to couch down and secure Memory Thread, then stitch a French knot under each stitch.
15. Use two strands of No. E3852 Precious Metal Effects to stitch nine French knots around center of paisley.
16. Use six un-separated strands of No. 939 Navy Floss to satin stitch the tail, backstitching around outline. Then, stem stitch along inside of blanket and head piece. Finally, stitch six French knots down center of head piece and four French knots along top of blanket.
17. Use three strands of No. 939 floss to stitch three lazy daisies at bend of trunk and on each foot. Then, weave through backstitches on underside of trunk.
1. Use No. E990 Fluorescent Effects to sew a running stitch along bottom edge of fabric.
2. Use No. 741 Pearl Cotton to blanket stitch a line inward above running stitch.
3. Use No. 907 Pearl Cotton to square chain stitch along top edge of fabric.
4. Use three strands of No. E718 Jewel Effects to stitch a French knot at center of every other square.
The DMC Corporation
This project submitted courtesy of The DMC Corporation.