Featured in Create & Decorate magazine’s May/June 2013 issue, this afghan is truly all-season perfection. Leave it at arm’s length on the back of a chair to chase away the spring evening chill, as well as brighten up any room of your home. Using Herrschners Homestyle Yarn, it will quickly become your favorite soft throw.
bumpy stripes blanket
designed by Lorna Miser
• Herrschners Homestyle Yarn:
Barkley (12 oz./340g): Color A
Sea Salt (12 oz./340g): Color B
Khaki (12 oz./340g): Color C
Sweetheart (12 oz, 340g): Color D
Natural (12 oz, 340g): Color E
• Size G-6 (4mm) crochet hook, or size to obtain gauge
• Yarn needle
- Gauge: 13 sts and 12 rows = 4” (10 cm).
- Stitch guide: Chain (Ch), single crochet (sc), 2 Dctog: yo, insert hook in indicated st, yo and pull through, yo and pull through two lps, yo, insert hook in SAME st, yo and pull through two lps, yo and pull through three lps-one 2 dctog made (this is not a decrease).
- Color sequence: Work one row each in Color A, B, C, D and E throughout.
- Blanket is worked side to side.
- Cut yarn at end of each row. For best results, it is advisable to work yarn ends in as you go. Crochet the first few stitches of the next row over the previous yarn color, laying on top of the previous row sts, thus hiding it.
- Finished size of piece is approximately 48” x 60” (122 cm x 152 cm).
1. With G-6 hook and Color A, ch 193. (Beginning ch is length of afghan; you may want to use a larger hook for beginning ch or ch loosely).
2. Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 3 ch, *2 dctog in next 4 ch, sc in next 4 ch, rep from * across; 2 dctog into last 4 ch changing to Color B on last st, turn.
3. Row 2: Ch 1 (does NOT count as sc), * sc in next 4 sts, 2 dctog in next 4 sc; rep from * across, turn. (Check length of first two rows; it should be approximately 60”).
4. Rep row 2 for pattern working one row in each color in the color sequence until the blanket measures 48″ wide. Fasten off and secure all ends.
This project submitted courtesy of Herrschners.