These little patterns are quick stitching to create a sweet holiday set of mug mats. For a cute gift idea, attach one to a gift bag that holds a gift of a mug and hot chocolate. Stitch a few for you, and finish a set for a lucky friend!
designed by Terry Loewen
for product information, see sources below.
• DMC embroidery floss in Nos. 341, 334, 436, 498, 898, 3818, E334, E436, E815, and Blanc
• Wichelt Imports 32-count linen in No. 65B Natural Brown
• Cotton fabric in a Christmas print of choice
• Felt, cool water, embroidery and sewing needles, iron and ironing surface, scissors, thread to match fabric
See stitch charts below.
Note: Special stitches are algerian eye and colonial knot for eyes and mouth.
1. Stitch design using one strand of floss throughout, and leaving space enough between designs for cutting (you will need 1” around each coaster after cutting).
2. Handwash in cool water and squeeze excess water out gently. Press dry face down.
3. Cut Christmas fabric 1” larger than linen, then layer design, felt, and Christmas fabric.
4. Fold edges of Christmas fabric down twice, pressing each time.
5. Use a running stitch and matching thread to stitch down edges.
Perfect to protect your table from a mug of hot cocoa!
Sources of Supply
The DMC Corporation