Variegated cotton floss and bright felt is appliquéd into a spring banner that welcomes friends and family. Featured in the May/June 2014 issue of Create & Decorate, we are also sharing this project online for you. It’s perfect for all of this season’s celebrations!
–Size 5 Pearl Cotton Variations in No. 4022, No. 4047, No. 4073, and No. 4205
–Size 5 Pearl Cotton in No. 988 and No. B5200
• The Kunin Group Rainbow ClassicFelt: No. 6G4 Peacock, one square No. 051 Shocking Pink, one square No. 351 Yellow, two squares No. 458 Apple Green, one square No. 476 Pirate Green, one square No. 550 White, an approximately 22” x 25” piece No. 660 Baby Blue, an approximately 22” x 25” piece
• 1” plastic rings (two), Beacon Adhesives Quilter’s Choice Basting Glue, fabric marker, pins, ruler, scissors, sewing machine/ sewing needle/thread (Chenille needles work well for hand stitching)
For pattern, see PDF link below.
1. Cut flowers, flower centers, leaves, and letters as directed on patterns.
2. Use fabric marker to transfer motif placement onto center of Baby Blue felt.
3. Place a flower center on each flower, and use Basting Glue to hold in place. Secure centers to flowers using a blanket stitch and No. 4073 pearl cotton. Accent each center with a few French Knots as shown.
4. Use No. 988 pearl cotton and a chain stitch to accent leaf centers.
5. Layer letters, leaves, and flowers as shown, and hold them temporarily in place using Basting Glue.
6. Use a blanket stitch and No. 4073 pearl cotton to secure letters in place.
7. Use a blanket stitch and No. 4047 pearl cotton to secure leaves in place.
8. Use a blanket stitch and No. 4205 pearl cotton to secure pink flowers into place.
9. Use a blanket stitch and No. 4022 pearl cotton to secure blue flowers into place.
10. Use a blanket stitch and B5200 pearl cotton to secure white flowers into place.
11. Use fabric marker to mark a straight edge on Baby Blue felt at 3/4” above topmost leaves.Measure and mark side edges at 1/2” beyond leaves.Mark a shaped edge along bottom, leaving a 1/2” border. Trim Baby Blue felt along marked lines.
12. Place Baby Blue felt right side up on center ofWhite felt, and use Basting Glue to hold in place. Use a blanket stitch and B5200 pearl cotton to secure Baby Blue felt toWhite felt background.
13. Trim White felt, leaving 1/4” border showing.
14. Stitch a plastic ring near each top back corner for hanging.
Complete instructions and pattern available in a convenient printout here.
This project submitted courtesy of The DMC Corporation.