Craft this wonderfully distressed flag that is designed to be put on display for summer holidays—but is also a terrific focal point for an Americana display! All you need are some strips of wood and a dab of Krazy Glue®.
Distressed Shim Flag
designed by KariAnne Wood for Krazy Glue
• 1 piece of plywood (that can be cut to 36” x 18”)
• 2 packages of standard wood shims
• Red, white and navy blue paint
• 11 wood star cut-outs • Sandpaper
• Krazy Glue No Run Craft Gel
1. Cut a piece of plywood approximately 36″ x 18″.
2. Paint the individual wood shims in alternating colors: red, white and blue. Let dry.
3. Paint 11 wood star cut-outs white. Let dry.
4. Begin with a layer of red shims. Using, Krazy Glue, glue the shims onto the plywood with the larger end of the shims on the left. Make sure the shims are all facing the same direction. Let dry according to directions.
5. Using Krazy Glue, glue a second layer of white shims and stagger the layer with the red layer (similar to a brick pattern). Let dry according to directions.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have 10 rows of shims.
7. Using Krazy Glue, on the left hand side, add 6 alternating layers of navy blue shims. Stagger the navy blue shims (similar to a brick pattern). Let dry according to directions.
8. Using Krazy Glue, on the right hand side, glue 6 layers of alternating red and white shims. Let dry according to directions.
9. Using Krazy Glue, glue the 11 stars to the navy blue background. Let dry according to directions.
10. Distress flag with sandpaper.
11. You can add a coat of water-based polyurethane if you want to seal the flag.